Frequently Asked Questions

In the UK having insurance for the vehicle your drive is a legal requirement.  Legally all vehicles must have at least third party cover at all times. We understand what you need and are able to provide affordable, great cover van and car insurance.

Insure 2 Drive car insurance is straight forward and it’s easy to understand what your policy covers you for, meaning that you can make decisions about your policy quickly and easily. And to help you further, below are a list of frequent questions that we are asked:

What can I do in my customer account?

To log in or register for your account click here.

In your customer account you will be able to:

  • View your policy details
  • Download your policy documents
  • Make changes to your policy
  • Upload documents when requested
  • Renew your car insurance policy
  • Pay off direct debit defaults and other debt
What if my details or circumstances change?

You must let us know immediately of any changes to your circumstances as filled out in your policy details.

This includes, but is not limited to, accidents (whether you were at fault or not), thefts (of or from the vehicle), disqualifications, convictions (motoring and criminal), change of your address, health matters, make and model of your vehicle, occupation (full or part time), use of your vehicle, vehicle modifications (cosmetic or performance enhancing), drivers, annual mileage, type of driving licence, changes of licence e.g. when you pass your driving test and the date the driving test was passed.

You can make some changes to your policy in your secure customer account. Simply log in or register for your account to access your policy details and see what changes you are able to make.

Changes to your details may affect your premium. If you are unsure if you need to advise us of the change please contact us by email

Will my cover begin immediately?

If you have requested an immediate start date then yes, you’ll be pleased to know that your cover will start as soon as you have made a successful purchase. Alternatively, your cover will begin on the policy start date you have selected when completing your quote. You will receive an email confirming your purchase and you will be able to view the start date and time of the policy in your policy documentation. An email will be sent giving you access to your secure documents portal where you can view and download your policy documents.

How do I cancel my policy?

Different cancellation terms apply depending on how long you have had your policy, please refer to our terms and conditions and administration services contract.

To contact our Customer Service Team call

Car insurance: 0330 024 4774

Van insurance: 0333 241 4343

or email

What to do if I breakdown?

If you have purchased breakdown cover when buying your car insurance you can report a breakdown here:

Is breakdown cover included?

No, breakdown cover isn’t included in the policy itself. However, we have teamed up with the RAC so that you can purchase cover as an additional product to our car insurance policy if you require. To find out which level of cover is suitable for you, please visit our Policy Features and Benefits page.

Breakdown cover is not available if the vehicle is used for courier, haulage or carriage of goods for hire and reward.

How do I add a driver to my policy?

You can add a driver to your policy in your secure customer account. To log in or register for your account click here.

Depending on the details of the driver you are adding, there may be an impact on the cost of your insurance.

In order to add a driver to your policy we will need to know; the driver’s name, date of birth, date they became resident in the UK, their occupation, the type of driving licence they hold and the date they obtained their licence, and details of any accidents/claims, convictions and medical conditions. We will also need to know what they will be using the vehicle for.

Please have all this information to hand when you log in to your account to make the change.  You can add up to four additional drivers to the policy in total.

Do I need to send Insure 2 Drive proof of my no claims discount?

Yes, as soon as you can and we must receive it within 14 days. This is essential to validate your car insurance. Your previous insurer will send you a document detailing how many years no claims discount you have after their policy ends.

Upload your proof directly into your customer account. To log in or register for your account click here.

We can only accept no claims bonus from a policy which ended no more than 24 months ago, and this proof can only be used against one policy at a time.

Please be aware that we will not be able to return your proof of No Claims Discount if you send it in the post, so please make sure you have made a copy for your own records before sending it through.

Why do I need to send you copies of all drivers' licences?

By reducing the risk of fraudulent activity it enables us to offer you the best value premium. Just one of the ways we do this is to ensure we always collect copies of drivers’ licences to ensure the information people have given us is correct.

You can upload copies of driving licences directly into your account.  To log in or register for your account click here.

Can I use an existing no claims discount?

Yes, if you have already built up a No Claims Discount (NCD) you can use that discount on Insure 2 Drive as long as you aren’t already using that discount on another policy. All you need to do is send us a copy of your NCD proof from your previous insurer, before your new Insure 2 Drive policy has been active for 14 days. You can normally see the NCD you have earned on your previous insurers renewal notice.

Your NCD must have been earned on a private car or commercial vehicle policy in an EU country within the last two years and can not be in use on another policy. We can’t accept accelerated NCD, or NCD that was earned on a company car or fleet policy or as a named driver on somebody else’s policy.

If you are purchasing van insurance in the company name we will accept NCD in the company name or in the name of the primary driver.

How does a no claims discount work?

Insure 2 Drive reward careful drivers with a No Claims Discount (NCD). Each year that you avoid having to make a claim, we will increase the discount that you receive on your car insurance or van insurance.

What are the benefits of protecting my no claims discount?

If you have no more than two claims in any five year period, you will not lose any of your No Claim Discount. Protection may be available if you have 1 or more years No Claims Discount.

What is voluntary policy excess?

Most insurance companies require you to choose a voluntary policy excess. This is the amount that you must pay, in addition to any compulsory excess, towards a claim where you are deemed to be at fault. In some cases, choosing a higher voluntary excess may reduce the premium you pay but you need to ensure that you can easily afford to pay that amount in the event of a claim. If you decide to pay a higher excess as a way to reduce your premium, it is worth making sure that the voluntary excess does not exceed the value of your vehicle.

Details of your excesses will be shown on the premium page when you have completed your quote, and on your Policy Schedule and Policy Wording.

What is a young driver excess?

Young drivers excesses apply to any driver on a policy aged between 17-24. These excesses are due in addition to those shown in your Policy Schedule and Policy Wording. Read our policy wording to view our Young Drivers Excess table.

Can I drive somebody else's car?

This will depend on a number of factors. If cover for driving other cars is provided, it will be confirmed on the Quote page. Details will also be shown on your Certificate of Insurance under the permitted driver section. Please note that where cover is provided for driving other cars, it is limited to Third Party Only.

Our van insurance policy does NOT include cover for driving other vehicles.

Can I drive abroad?

You will be pleased to know that you are covered to travel abroad to the EU but please note that unless you’ve told us in advance of your travel plans, your cover provided will be restricted to the minimum required in the countries you’re visiting. You should let us know your travel plans for the EU as we will provide full policy cover for up to 13 weeks free of charge. If you are travelling outside the EU please tell us the details of which countries you are visiting and your departure and return dates and we may be able to arrange suitable cover for you. See our full Policy Wording  for more information.

You can contact us with these details through your customer account.

What payment options are available?

There are a few different options for payment. You can pay by spreading the costs across the year or you can pay for your car insurance in full by credit or debit card. Please find more details on our terms and conditions page.

Can I use my vehicle for work and business?

We offer different levels of business use. Be sure to read the options carefully when filling out the online application to make sure that you select the right use for your requirements.

If you need to change the use later on in your policy, you can update your policy details in your customer account.

If the change is as result of you or an additional driver changing their occupation don’t forget to let us know so we can make sure you have the correct cover.

Do I need a green card for driving abroad?

Whether you need a Green Card will depend on which country you plan to drive in and if you will be taking a trailer or caravan.

You don’t need a green card for your main vehicle if you are driving in the EU – this includes Ireland, Andorra, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway, Serbia, and Switzerland. If you are towing a trailer or caravan, you will still be required to carry a Green Card as proof of insurance.

If you are travelling to a country outside of the EU you will likely be required to carry a Green Card.

For the most up to date information visit the Government website.

What to do if you need a Green Card

If you are visiting a country that requires a Green Card you can request one from us in your customer account.

How do I register for my customer account?

You will be able to register for your secure customer account as soon as you have bought your insurance.

To log in or register for your account click here.

Will my policy be automatically renewed?

If you provide consent for continuous payment authority when you purchase your policy we may offer you an automatic renewal. You will be contacted 35 days prior to your renewal date to remind you of that you have chosen this method of renewal. An automatic renewal means that your policy will renew automatically based on the information we currently hold for you. The premium will continue to be collected from the bank account or payment card you provided us details for when you purchased the policy.

Whilst automatic renewals can provide peace of mind and ensure cover is continuous, it is equally important to consider if this method of renewal still meets your requirements.

You have the right to change your renewal preferences at any time, this includes cancelling your automatic renewal. You can cancel your automatic renewal in your secure customer account. To log in or register for your account click here.

If you cancel your automatic renewal then you will need to ensure that you take steps to ensure you have sufficient insurance cover in place.

How do I stop my renewal?

If you don’t want to renew your policy, check in your customer account or your renewal email to see if we have stated that the policy will automatically renewal, or if we have asked you to tell us if you do want to renew.

If you were issued with an ‘automatic’ renewal, you can choose not to renew your policy. You can confirm this to us in your secure customer account. To log in or register for your account click here.

If you were issued with a ‘manual’ renewal email, this means that you only need to contact us if you want to accept the renewal, otherwise your policy will lapse on the expiry date shown on your certificate.

How do I send you documents?

If we have asked you to provide us with any documents, you can upload these directly into your secure customer account.

To log in or register for your account click here.

Do I need to inform you if my occupation has changed, or if I now need to drive for work?

If your occupation or the nature of your employers business has permanently changed or you have stopped working:  You must inform us to ensure that you are covered.

You can make changes to your policy in your customer account, including changing the Policyholder’s occupation.

However, if you or a named drivers occupation has changed to a courier, driver, chauffeur or to working in the motor trade:  In this instance please contact us to discuss your policy requirements.

What happens if I have missed my renewal date?

Taking out a new policy with us is simple. Click here to apply for a new policy.

I am no longer driving my vehicle, do I need insurance? Can I suspend my policy?

It’s a legal requirement for your vehicle to be insured, unless it has been registered with a SORN and is declared off the road with the DVLA. You can find out more about how to SORN your vehicle here. Also although you may be using your car less, depending on your level of cover for your vehicle, you will still be covered if your vehicle is stolen or is accidentally damaged.

Do you offer multi car cover?

Unfortunately, we do not offer an annual multicar policy. However, if you have an existing policy with us, then you can request to add an extra vehicle to your policy on a temporary basis up to 2 times in a 12 month period for up to 30 days at a time. An additional premium and / or fee may be due.

Do I need an international driving licence?

Depending on the country you will be driving in and the type of driving licence you have, you may require an International Driving Permit (IDP).

For the most up to date information including a full list of countries, their driving licence requirements and how to get your IDP, please visit the Government website.

Do you offer a black box policy, or will my policy have a black box?

There is no requirement to have a black box fitted or to record your driving in any way. We are not currently offering a black box policy.

What if I live on the Northern Ireland border?

Your annual insurance certificate will cover you to travel in and out of Southern Ireland, proving your home address remains within Northern Ireland.

Can I use my own car to sit my driving test?

Yes! You can absolutely sit your driving test in your own car if it is insured with us. Just keep in mind that you must still have a qualified driver, who meets the DVLA criteria, sit next to you at all times whilst you are driving. If you pass your driving test, be sure to let us know so that we can update your policy.

Do I need to tell you about my university address?

You should tell us of any changes to your circumstances, including your address, even if you are only staying at University during term time. Our advisors will discuss with you and let you know if the policy needs to be updated.

English is not my first language; can i get a friend to speak to you instead?

Yes, we can speak to a friend or family member on your behalf with your permission. You can add a third party to your policy when purchasing your car insurance. If you have already purchased your car insurance you can add a third party to your policy directly in your customer account.

I struggle to hear you on the phone, how else can I contact you?

When you buy a policy with us we will email you a link to your customer account where you can view your details, make any changes and upload all of your documents without needing to call us. You can also add a third party to your policy who will have the authority to make changes to your policy. You can do this when you buy your policy or in your customer account after you have bought your policy.

If ever you do need to contact us you can always email our Customer Services Team at

Can I learn to drive in my own car? Is this covered?

Yes! If your car is insured with us then you can use the car to get in extra experience before you sit your test. You must have a qualified driver, who meets the DVLA criteria, accompany you at all times and display ‘L’ plates. You may want to add the person who will supervise you to your policy as a named driver, so that they can take over the driving if you get stuck. Just be sure to tell us when you have passed your test so that we can update your policy.

Can I have two policies covering the same vehicle?

You should not have two annual policies covering the same vehicle, this will not give you double the cover nor will it provide two separate claims payments.  It could actually complicate the claims process, should you need to make a claim.

Having two policies on cover simply means you are paying twice for the same amount of cover.  In the event that you need someone else to drive your vehicle, they can be added to your policy as a named driver. You can add a driver in your customer account.

Is my payment secure?

Yes absolutely. To ensure the highest standard of online payment security, all transactions are supported by 3D Secure, which is designed to ensure enhanced security and strong authentication when you use your debit or credit card for online purchases. Depending on the type of card you are using it is called MasterCard SecureCode or Verified by Visa.

To learn more about Verified by Visa and MasterCard SecureCode, please visit the official Visa and

MasterCard websites via the links below:

> read more about Verified by Visa
> read more about MasterCard Securecode

What happens if I pass my driving test?

You need to let us know as soon as possible after passing your test to update your policy so that you are covered as a full licence holder. It is likely that there will be a change in premium, but it is important that your policy is updated so that you are fully covered.

If you are the policyholder you can update your policy in your secure customer account. To log in or register for your account click here.