Brexit Update – Driving Abroad


On the 31st January 2020 the UK left the EU. As a result of this we are now in an 11 month transition period during which time important negotiations will take place on the UK and the EU future trading relationship.


Will Brexit impact my car insurance?

At the moment your car insurance will not be affected. If you are planning on driving within the European Economic Area (EEA) or Andorra, Serbia and Switzerland during the 11 month transition period you are not required to have a Green Card.

However, if by the end of this transition period, 31st December 2020, an agreement on the future trading relationship hasn’t been reached and you plan on taking your car abroad, then you will be required to carry a Green Card. 2020. The Green Card is an extension to your car insurance policy and you may not be permitted access to enter the EU countries you are planning to visit without one. A full list of countries is available here.

Green Card changes from 1st July 2020

From the 1st July 2020 Green Cards will no longer have to be printed on green paper.  If you are travelling abroad on or after the 1st July 2020 we will be able to email you your Green Card. You can print it out on white paper.  It is important to remember that you will need to have a printed copy of your Green Card with you when you travel. A screenshot on your mobile will not be accepted.

We will continue to update you on any further news or changes that may affect you as a policyholder during the transition period.

For up to date details read the ‘Visit Europe after Brexit’ page on the GOV.UK website.

Do I need an International Driving Permit (IDP)?

Depending on the countries you are visiting you may need an International Driving Permit if you are planning on driving. Read the latest information on the GOV.UK website. Check if you need an IDP.

If you have any questions or concerns, please don’t hesitate to contact us.